Pages

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Wedding Distress, More Obama Comments on Space, SpaceX Has an "Anomaly"

I still find weddings to be one of the most uncomfortable social events imaginable. Thus my continued singularity. Blah blah blah. There are more important things going on in the world than my social insecurities. Such as...

Obama might be backing off his idea of slowing the Constellation Program to fund some education program; that is not, however, the same thing as saying that he would give Constellation the green light. More to be found on this here:

http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/2008/08/obama_reverses.html#more

I'll comment more tomorrow. I'm too tired for deep thought, about Obama or anything else.

For more on SpaceX, see here:

http://www.spacex.com/index.php

http://kwajrockets.blogspot.com/

Bottom line on SpaceX's latest Falcon 1 launch attempt: they were fine until about 2 minutes into the flight, when the video went out (I was watching live and saw the Quicktime version of the Blue Screen of Death). Launch control at Kwajalein Atoll reported an "anomaly," which is usually space-guy talk for, "the rocket blew up into millions of tiny hot pieces that are now raining down over the Pacific." However, space guys will never SAY that specifically. The closest they might come is "the vehicle experienced dynamic disassembly." I guess I'll see more about this when I wake up tomorrow. This does not bode well for those of us who are private-sector space advocates.

No comments: