Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Potpourri XLIII

I'll talk about what things might be done to make a better future later in the week (true "survival with style"), but I am not done with surviving the somewhat darker future yet. Bear with me, I'm not a complete pessimist, but I do believe in being prepared. Thus, today's dose of guns, gold, and groceries:

  • The local gun shop here is Madison Guns & Ammo, which also sells "pink tasers and pepper sprays" for the ladies. I kid you not.
  • Another article from Scott, this one on the logic behind buying gold and silver.
  • A site I heard advertised on the local talk radio station today for people interested in growing a "crisis garden" was selling seeds that are not genetically altered. Why does this matter? Well, as I've heard it told, you can get record crops with genetically altered plants (e.g. corn/maize), but they're only fertile for a season, then they die out. This, apparently, ensures that you buy from that seed producer next year. Apparently "victory gardens" are making a comeback.
  • I also plan a separate blog on "books to preserve in the event of the end of civilization." No, I'm not kidding, and yes, I will talk about happier things in a bit. Just sayin', as we say on Facebook.

A link from Martin, asking, "True?" he offers this link on a Creedence Clearwater Revival song and some of the stories behind it. Yes, it is true that Agnew supported NASA's plans for Mars exploration. The rest I cannot confirm off the top of my head. Amateur historians welcome.

My buddy Mike Mealling (from Masten Aerospace) has an interesting take on the future direction of NASA.

And if you're wondering how I maintain good humor in the midst of a bad economy, here are a couple of ways:

  • Today I bought the full four-glass set of Star Trek drinking glasses from Burger King.
  • Once or twice a year, I buy myself food from Chicago. This includes pizza, Italian beef, cheesecake, etc. Tastes of Chicago might be one of the few places I can get a decent pizza "delivered" to my home.
  • Another is Featured Foods, which delivers Gino's East thick-crust, "Chicago style" pizza.
  • Yet another, if you're interested in properly seasons thin-crust pizza, is Home Run Inn.

No comments: