Pages

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Potpourri LXX

Busy day today. I'll try to keep this short so I can do some reading that doesn't require a CRT.

Ares I-X has started stacking onto the Mobile Launch Platform. Huzzah!

The American Institute of Physics' take on the confirmation hearings of Charles Bolden and Lori Garver.

The National Space Society has posted an alert (hmmmmm, wonder who wrote that!?) regarding the Augustine Panel.

What did the Apollo moon landing mean for you? Report in here.

I asked Rick Steves' Tour Department if it would be possible to make side trips to Strasbourg, France (home of the International Space University) or the CERN Large Hadron Collider in southwest Switzerland. Here's the response I got:

You could opt out of any time hiking in the Alps to visit CERN which is accessible from Geneva. This daytrip would require taking the train from Stechelberg to Geneva and then bus and tram to CERN. To visit Strasbourg you’d need to take a train from Paris so this day trip would have to happen after your tour. You can take a high speed TGV and arrive in 2.5 hrs.

Unfortunately, the day after my tour I'm going home. Matter of fact, I might be ditching one day of my Paris tour to go to Versailles, which holds a lot more interest for me than the Eiffel Tower. Still, the LHC would be fun, geekish side trip.

Breaking News: Looks like I won't be going to the LHC, either. Apparently one needs to request a visit/tour 3-4 months in advance. Serves me right for slacking off or not pushing hard enough on asking questions. Dagnabbit!

No comments: