Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Downsizing

Okay, so you want to know what it's like to work in the midst of a massive layoff? No, you really don't. It's not just you (or me) losing a job. It's your closest friends and coworkers. And the folks down the hall. And the bulk of the folks you work with or just see in the hallways on a daily basis--50, 70, 100, 200 people? And knowing that there are more job cuts coming. It sucks, thanks for asking.

I maintain my professionalism because I still love my job. And that's perhaps the maddening part of all of this. We're not being let go because we're slackers or bad workers. We're just not wanted. Or too expensive to keep on the payroll. Or whatever. They might or will call some folks back, but for the rest, it's a trip to the unemployment office and a lot of hard thinking ahead.

I'm bringing snacks and a positive attitude to work tomorrow because the alternatives aren't any prettier. Might as well keep that Disney smile on, right? Right.

No comments: