Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Science Cheerleaders, Etc.

I'm about a week out from attending the Science & Engineering Festival, where I'll be running the booth/tent for ScienceCheerleader.com. For the past few months I've been creating letters, forms, grant proposals, schedules, and gosh-knows-what-else to ensure that 11 cheerleaders have what they need when they need it. In other words, paperwork. The point, of course, is to make certain that these fine ladies can get out there and inspire young'uns to cheer, yes, but also to think about life outside cheerleading. The Science Cheerleaders include:

Alyson, who's finished a B.S. and is looking to become a doctor. She's also an excellent writer.
Andrea, also a student, who's worked with patients who have HIV. I also have to send Andrea a big high-five for helping Dar and me keep things organized.

Heidi, who has a B.S. in Sports & Exercise Science and now works at a pain management clinic and also has her own fitness business. Her 2D picture is in better shape than I am in 3D.

Jennifer, who's an engineer at Nissan. I believe she specializes in process management, but far be it for me to fib--check out her interview.

Kim is a computer science person who likes solving tough problems. She kind of reminds me of Jeri Ryan, and I'm perfectly cool with that.

Melissa is a medical researcher at Vanderbilt. I really need to get to a Titans game...

Regina is a medical doctor and a lawyer. Given all the studying those two disciplines require, when the heck did she find time for cheerleading? I plan to ask!

Sandra is an RN in an emergency ward. You know all those trauma-ward TV shows? That's her world. Yowie!

Stephanie is going to school to become a math teacher. Excellent! Wonder if she tutors calc...

Summer is a rocket scientist (excuse me, aerospace engineer) out of Johnson Space Center in Houston. Summer is no stranger to combatting the whole cheerleader stereotype thing, but she's still at it...and still employed in the midst of all the changes.

Rounding out our troupe is Wanda, who works in medical sales, where you've got to speak some serious geek.


Naturally Dar will be there...though in civilian garb, not cheering.

And last but not least, there's Your Humble Narrator, who will be acting gopher and security(?). I've been known to be ornery...


So there you go: eleven women who will be dancing and cheering, yes, but also talking seriously about how young women can do and be much more. Looking forward to it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent! I wish I could be there too- almost just isn't close enough... Enjoy and say "HI!" to all the cheerleaders for me! :-{)

Joanna Pool said...

Thanks for putting together this blog post and helping us get the word out about the Festival. Looking forward to seeing the Science cheerleaders at the Expo. Keep an Eye out on the blog for a shoutout.